Saturday, June 28, 2008

Everyone is trying to make a political statement.

Last night I went to go see the kids movie, Wall-e.  I was excited for some clean, entertaining Disney/Pixar fun, but what I got was a movie loaded with liberal psychobabble.  It begins with a world that has been taken over by big business and garbage.  Humans were so wasteful that earth was destroyed and everyone had to move to space. In space, every person has become horribly obese and can't get out of their wheelchair gadget things.  I kind of wonder what its teaching children.  I guess it COULD be a powerful message, "Children, now lets not waste our resources, trash the earth and become lazy fat people..." but it came across as pretty harsh and slightly obnoxious. Its kind of like the going GREEN phenomenon that has been sweeping the country.  The movie is probably endorsed by uber-hypocrite Al Gore. 
I thought of this during the looooong drive from Lake Forest Park to Medina today, when "Handlebars" by the Flobots came onto the radio.  The song begins like a joke, stating, "I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars," yet towards the end, the Flobots (who came up with that name anyway?) lead singer begins to scream, 
"I can hand out a million vaccinations
Or let'em all die in exasperation
Have'em all grilled leavin lacerations
Have'em all killed by assassination
I can make anybody go to prison
Just because I don't like'em and
I can do anything with no permission
I have it all under my command
I can guide a missile by satellite
By satellite
By satellite
and I can hit a target through a telescope
Through a telescope
Through a telescope
and I can end the planet in a holocaust
In a holocaust"

Ridiculous. Yes,  we're pretty much horrible people because of technological advances and order. Ridiculous. 
Flobots, how about Anarchy? The probably just hate Bush like 75% (allegedly) of the US population. 
What really irritates me is that people don't even notice these things. I read numerous reviews of Wall-e before I went to the theater and none of them mentioned the political undertones, most likely because they agreed so fully that it just went over their heads.  Also, the radio refuses to acknowledge what the Flobots song is really about.  BS liberal propaganda. 

Sigh. Barack Obama went to the gym today and ran on the treadmill with his ipod... my hero. 

No comments: